Bluford Shops products are not intended for children under 14.
Past Releases: 2-Bay Rebuilt War Emergency Hoppers.
These 2-Bay Rebuilt War Emergency Hoppers have never been available before in N scale. These ready-to-run cars feature: die cast slope sheet-hopper bay-center sill assembly; injection molded plastic sides, ends, and hopper doors; fully molded brake tank, valve and air lines; body mounted brake hose detail; load; body mounted magnetically operating knuckle couplers; close coupling; and Fox Valley Models metal wheels.
The story of these 2-Bay Rebuilt War Emergency Hoppers begins in 1942 when the War Production Board directed car builders to substitute wood for steel wherever possible in car superstructures. The familiar 2-bay “war emergency” composite hopper was a result of this directive. Those cars had wooden side sheets and end slope sheets (although the middle slope sheets remained steel.) This saved a bit over two and a half tons of steel needed elsewhere for the war effort. Unfortunately, the wood boards were considerably thicker than steel sheet which effectively lowered the cubic capacity of the car. While you could build ten composite hoppers with the steel of nine all-steel hoppers, the lower capacity of the composite cars meant you needed more composite cars to carry the same load. During 1944, the directive was set aside and cars that were on order were delivered with the familiar diagonal bracing but with all steel construction. After the war, as composite cars came due for serious maintenance, the wood side and slope sheets were replaced with steel. A large majority of the composite cars were rebuilt in this manner sometime during the 1950s.
Baltimore & Ohio began rebuilding their composite hoppers in quantity in 1955. Although the “13 Great States” version of the B&O logo had largely been retired, the new large “B&O” lettering was a poor fit over the 2-Bay Rebuilt War Emergency Hopper’s diagonal ribs. As a result, the old stencils were used again on the rebuilt cars. This run will be available in six road numbers.
64011 Baltimore & Ohio 13 Great States single
64012 Baltimore & Ohio 13 Great States 2-pack
64013 Baltimore & Ohio 13 Great States 3-pack
Clinchfield Railroad rebuilt their composite hoppers in 1957. Although the Clinchfield was just 300 miles long, they had an impressive fleet of nearly 500 of these 2-Bay Rebuilt War Emergency Hoppers. Clinchfield’s coal traffic was significant but less known was the industrial mineral traffic including feldspar, mica and even landscaping gravel generated on the southern half of the railroad. This run will be available in six road numbers.
64021 Clinchfield single
64022 Clinchfield 2-pack
64023 Clinchfield 3-pack
Santa Fe rebuilt their fleet of composite hoppers with steel sides at their Topeka Shops in 1957 and 1958. The fleet included 400 cars split between two classes. In addition to hauling coal, Santa Fe hoppers in this era also carried coke, stone and various ores. Some of these cars were still in revenue service in the 1980s. This run will be available in six road numbers.
64031 Santa Fe single
64032 Santa Fe 2-pack
64033 Santa Fe 3-pack
Southern Railway System acquired 1,450 composite hoppers during the war and rebuilt them into all steel cars in the 1950s. The block lettering was adopted in 1960. While many railroads went to great lengths to break up their lettering to avoid the vertical and diagonal ribs on these cars, Southern made stencils that carefully wrapped over the ribs. By 1969, the fleet had all been equipped with ACI tags. This run will be available in six road numbers.
64041 Southern post-1969 single
64042 Southern post-1969 2-pack
64043 Southern post-1969 3-pack
Wabash rebuilt their fleet of 400 composite hoppers sometime between 1956 and 1958. In addition to handling the rebuild work, Wabash’s Decatur Shops had also originally built the cars during the war. The fleet was included in the 1964 lease of the Wabash by Norfolk & Western and cars with this lettering could still be seen in service through the end of the decade. This run will be available in six road numbers.
64051 Wabash single
64052 Wabash 2-pack
64053 Wabash 3-pack
Atlantic Coast Line began rebuilding their composite hoppers in 1950. Part of the fleet was rebuilt in the usual manner as seen here with wood siding and slope sheets replaced with steel. Another part of the fleet was rebuilt with an increased angle on the slope sheets for phosphate service. In addition to their own 5,700 mile system, ACL controlled the L&N, Clinchfield, Georgia and West Point Route roads and was considered an influential force in railroading. This run will be available in three road numbers.
64061 Atlantic Coast Line single
64062 Atlantic Coast Line 2-pack
Central of Georgia rebuilt their fleet of composite cars in 1951 and 1952. In the summer of 1963, Southern Railway bought control of Central of Georgia. As these hoppers came due for repainting, they received this narrow-line version of the Southern style of lettering (made up of 3” lines instead of the 5” lines used on the parent company cars.) A heavier line version of CoG lettering was developed a few years later. This run will be available in three road numbers.
64071 Central of Georgia single
64072 Central of Georgia 2-pack