Bluford Shops products are not intended for children under 14.
These ready-to-run cars feature: die cast slope sheet-hopper bay-center sill assembly; injection molded plastic sides, ends, and hopper doors; fully molded brake tank, valve and air lines; body mounted brake hose detail; load; body mounted magnetically operating knuckle couplers; close coupling; and Fox Valley Models metal wheels.
In the 1960s, Chesapeake & Ohio’s earliest offset side hoppers were coming due for rebuilding. Rather than fabricating new offset sides, C&O’s Raceland Shops opted for new sides with 8 full length panels joined with external ribs. This made the cars cheaper to rebuild and maintain. It also extended the service lives of the cars into the 1980s. C&O would go on to rebuild over 15,000 cars into 8-panel hoppers.
65011 Chesapeake & Ohio single car
65012 Chesapeake & Ohio 2-Pack
65013 Chesapeake & Ohio 3-Pack
In the 1960s, Baltimore & Ohio sent many of their offset side hoppers over to the Raceland Shops of their sister road C&O for rebuilding into 8-panel hoppers. By this time, B&O had adopted C&O’s Futura demi-bold lettering for reporting marks and road numbers but B&O’s capitol dome logo persisted. These cars also operated well into the 1980s.
65021 Baltimore & Ohio single car
65022 Baltimore & Ohio 2-Pack
65023 Baltimore & Ohio 3-Pack
Southern Railway acquired this fleet of 8-panel hoppers with the 1971 purchase of the Tennessee Alabama & Georgia Railroad, a short but busy steel hauler connecting the mills of Gadsden, Alabama with Chattanooga. By early 1974, the whole fleet had received Southern’s iconic lettering.
65031 Southern single car
65032 Southern 2-Pack
65033 Southern 3-Pack
New Haven ordered 250 of these cars from Pullman-Standard in 1940. Best known for their passenger operations, New Haven’s freight traffic was significant. They had more than 20,000 freight cars, nearly of third of which were hoppers.
65041 New Haven single car
65042 New Haven 2-Pack
65043 New Haven 3-Pack
Penn-Dixie Cement was born from the 1926 merger of four cement companies with plants in New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Georgia. Over the years, Penn-Dixie operated fleets of secondhand hoppers to move coal and limestone to their mills. These cars received PDSX reporting marks. This group of 8-panel hoppers was probably acquired from B&O.
65051 Penn-Dixie Cement PDSX single car
65052 Penn-Dixie Cement PDSX 2-Pack
Clinchfield received their 8-panel hoppers as part of a large rebuilding project undertaken by parent L&N at their South Louisville Shops in the late 1960s. Clinchfield was jointly owned by L&N and Atlantic Coast Line (SCL after 1967) and generated huge volumes of coal traffic. Coal loads moved off the Clinchfield in every direction for metallurgical use, power generation and export. During this period, CRR became one of the busiest railroads per mile of track in the nation.
65071 Clinchfield single car
65072 Clinchfield 2-Pack
65073 Clinchfield 3-Pack
Data Only cars will also be available featuring white lettering on a black body. The data format represents cars from the steam era to the late 1960s. For more modern modelers, we suggest ordering the Penn-Dixie Cement PDSX cars which have ACI tags and con-stencils and can be customized easily.
65081 Data Only single car
Past Releases: N Scale 8-Panel 2-Bay Hoppers.
Pittsburg & Shawmut was another in the pantheon of pocket sized coal haulers loading trainload after trainload of Pennsylvania’s finest black diamonds to market. Where is the “h” in Pittsburg, you might ask? The railroad adopted the P&S name in 1909. The city added an h to the end of “Pittsburg” four years later but the railroad refused to change it. P&S joined the Genesee & Wyoming shortline group in 1996.
65061 Pittsburg & Shawmut single car
65062 Pittsburg & Shawmut 2-Pack